One week to go!!

September 28, 2009

well with one week to go Dragon Somethin’ is in good shape for the race. Got our numbers cut out the other day w/ the windshield banner and stuck those all on, mounted our Halon extinguisher (from my garage wall) in the car w/ a metal braket since HD doesnt have them anymore apparently, and finished our seatbelt install after US Race Gear donated the parts we were missing. We also have one sponsor kicking in money for gas w/ yet another sticker to install. I took the car on a trailer over to the VW Porsche reunion show today and signed up to show just for laughs. Lots of pictures taken and people checking out the Dragon- especially kids. Funny part is due to crappy cold wet weather alot of people bailed early and i ended up winning a TOP20 award w/ the car!!! Pretty funny i thought. Started tonite packing for the race- lots and lots of crap inside the car- she is loaded down. Wish us luck.

finishing details

September 19, 2009

The Dragon is in its final stretch towards completion finally.  Installed the rally lights switch and wiring today for our nightime runs, mounted a horn button to the dash for the air horns under the front of the car, and painted a Lemons logo on the front valance. Still waiting for the fifth belt hardware to finish that off, but otherwise we are almost there. We will prob. end up putting some better rear pads on the car, we just installed Hawk Blue pads in the front the other day.

Dragon First Flight!

September 13, 2009

Five of the six team members converged on the garage today to finish up a long list of projects we needed to complete.  After installing the rear swaybar, changing the trans fluid and motor oil/filter, timing belt and water pump, castor block, installing the rollbar padding and adjusting the seat, and changing the clutch slave…. and bleeding the brakes, and installing some harnesses and stickers…we took her out. Figured out we need some front camber but overall the car seems very solid- cant wait to race!

Scaling the Dragon

September 9, 2009

cut out a template for the scales on the Dragon tonite and went to town w/ a can of flat black. Now it looks more like a large lizard w/ those scales all over it- i didnt do the whole car- thought it would be too much.

More paint Progress

September 9, 2009

Alan and I worked awhile last night and put the rest of the body work together after rolling it all green. Also sprayed the teeth onto the beast.

The Dragon goes Green!

September 8, 2009

Got some paint on the Dragon today, sprayed the Key Lime green on the lower panels and then taped it all up and rolled on some Enviro Green. Finish isnt terrible for a roller job either. Put some “sponsor” stickers on there for effect. Paragon donated the stickers and some t-shirt when we ordered our parts, Mongoose Chassis is the guy who built our cage, and we also have a sticker for the school he teaches at. Grassroots sticker is a must for anyone wanting to be in a magazine! Also painted the wheels today and mounted up the new tires. Starting to look like a real race car.

Building a Dragon

September 7, 2009

Saturday Alan and I picked up the Dragon from his brother in laws shop and immediately tore into the car to get it ready for the Lemons race. Sammy made the trip down from Indy and helped Alan replace the front wheel bearings and bad rear bearing. I installed the removable steering wheel hub and Sparco wheel, along w/ the cage mounted taillights and rear taillight plates.

Sunday i painted the cage w/ epoxy appliance paint, then wired up the new taillights while eliminating much of the unused wiring from the car, including all the power window wires to the doors, and removed the motors and glass. Then i sprayed the inside of the doors white, and moved the door handles up to clear the cage. Finally i edged the car in w/ the Enviro Green we purchased from Sherwin Williams which looks great. Cant wait to see this paint job finished, should be awsome.

the Dragon has wings!

September 3, 2009

got the wings all painted up tonite. Checked the fiberglass work i did last night and it was ok, so i coated everything in a layer of fiberglass mix and a coat of featherlite filler. Then i roughed things up and sprayed it w/ some rocker panel spray. Then i applied the key lime green, the black highlights and then brushed on the green which is the color for the entire car. These are rough looking up close but on the car they should give us our dragon wing effect we are looking for. I also cut the backside of the foglights and lower valance out for more airflow- now to design a paint scheme for the valance w/ teeth…..

had an idea for some roof wings for the dragon mobile and decided to work on them tonite. Started off w/ some metal conduit from my garage rafters and angled them, welded them up and welded them to a metal plate. The plates will also serve to hold the sunroof on each side of the roof.  Then i welded some formed wire coat hanger to them and stretched fiberglass cloth w/ resin over the frames. So far so good, this week i’ll trim up the edges and start molding them w/ fiberglass filler to make the shape smoother.